(916) 380-8569 • email@example.com
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, California State University, Sacramento, December 2017.
Associate of Arts in Journalism, American River College, May 2015
Honors and Awards: Journalism Association of Community Colleges: Editor-in Chief, Dam! Magazine, American River College, 2014, Journalism Association of Community Colleges: First Place State Convention Award, Magazine Design and Layout, 2015
Online News Association, Member since September 2017
Society of Professional Journalists, Member since April 2016
National Association of Hispanic Journalist, Member since February 2016
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
Language Skills: Fluent in Spanish
Media and Design
- Word, Publisher, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, WordPress and Social Media, Adobe Audition, Adobe Premiere and ArcMap
Reporting Fellow, The ARTery at 90.9 WBUR | Boston, MA
September 2018 to August 2019
- Covered the ever-evolving arts and culture scene in Boston while humanizing the radio and digital stories without cliches.
- Covered the Massachusetts Fiscal Year 2020 Budget in order to inform readers about the increase in funds for the Massachusetts Cultural Council in a way that was clear and easy to understand.
- Spoke with senators and representatives about the Fiscal Year 2020 Massachusetts Budget to better understand the language used in the amendments to the budget.
- Wrote and tracked breaking news spots on a same-day deadline while also writing an accompanying digital story with in-depth coverage of the news.
Reporter, The Daily Democrat | Woodland, CA
March 2018 – August 2018
- Covered various beats including crime, courts, county government, human interest,
food and agriculture.
- Provided daily coverage of the double homicide of two Yolo County teens who went
missing in October and November of 2016 and the murder trials that followed.
- Produced and uploaded videos to social media, including YouTube, narrated Facebook Live events, and shot photographs to upload photo galleries that were posted to the newspaper’s Instagram and website.
- Covered Yolo County’s burgeoning cannabis industry during the first year of legalization of recreational marijuana, including county supervisors’ decisions leading up the opening of the first dispensary.
Intern, Capital Public Radio | Sacramento, CA
January 2016-May 2016
- Interviewed individuals of diverse backgrounds for their #100YoungVoters campaign.
- Helped with the #100YoungVoters project with Capital Public Radio by organizing digital reporters.
- Translated parts of a script from Spanish to English and did various research for the documentary “Navigating Life and Love When One Parent is Undocumented.
Next Generation Radio Mentee, National Public Radio | Sacramento, CA
October 4-9, 2015
- Worked one-on-one with the producer of PRI’s “The World” to create two radio stories and a photography piece.
- Learned to edit audio using Adobe Audition to tell my stories.
- Hosted a newscast with a fellow mentee for the presentation event.
Staff Writer, The State Hornet | Sacramento, CA
August 2015- December 2015
- Wrote news and events articles, edited and published various articles for the newspaper and website.
- Covered breaking news events that occurred at California State University, Sacramento.
- Live-tweeted events to supplement reporting.
Editor-in-Chief, Dam!, American River College | Sacramento, CA
December 2013- May 2014
- Created visual layout, template and concepts of front and back cover of American River College’s first journalistic magazine.
- Researched and reported on mental health issues and a string of rapes that occurred in the area.
- Edited and copy edited all stories and managed the writers, photographers and designers to create the final product.
- Attended the Journalism Association of Community Colleges Annual Meeting, Burbank, CA in Spring 2014 to represent the journalism program in various competitions.
Managing Editor, American River Current | Sacramento, CA
August 2013- December 2013
- Worked with student writers of diverse educational and ethnic backgrounds to further their reporting skills.
- Coached student writers for interviewing individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Edited and published more than 100 stories and photos to American River Current’s website and social media outlets of diverse topics and issues.
Arts & Culture and Scene Editor, American River Current | Sacramento, CA
August 2012- May 2013
- Coached student writers and worked one-on-one with each writer to develop story writing.
- Revised stories and worked with photographers to create visuals that helped tell the story.
- Attended the Journalism Association of Community Colleges Annual Meeting, Sacramento, CA, in Spring 2013 to represent the journalism program in various competitions.
Staff Writer, American River Current | Sacramento, CA
January 2012- May 2012
- Covered concerts, college theatre and art shows and wrote book and food reviews for the Arts and Culture section.
OTHER EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
Customer Service Associate, Home Depot, promoted from plumbing associate
September 2016- March 2018
Plumbing Associate, Home Depot, promoted from cashier
February 2016- September 2016
Cashier, Home Depot
March 2015- January 2016
Cashier, Beto’s Tacos